Most of us love ice cream but have never made it. But its really easy!. Now, a good ice cream maker is a couple of hundred euros at least, these machines freeze and mix the ice cream at the same time so you get a beautifully smooth texture. But if you have a freezer and have room for a decent sized bowl you can make your own Homemade Ice Cream and with a little elbow grease, it will be very smooth.
I will make a video showing how to do this soon I promise and show how to make the posh version, but this cheating version works so well it would be hard to notice much difference.
- Strawberry Coulis: (Strawberries, Sugar, Water)
- Custard/Cream Anglaise
Firstly make a strawberry coulis, I told you how to make this for the Strawberry Hearts recipe.
But here it is again
- If using frozen strawberries put 200 grams into a saucepan with a couple of dessert spoons of caster sugar and 50ml of water bring to the boil and stir then take off the heat.
- For fresh strawberries just add sugar and a tiny splash of water then follow the rest of the instructions.
- If you have a processor throw them in and blitz till smooth.
- Pass the strawberries through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. Leave the coulis in a bowl in the fridge till needed.
- Use a pre-made carton of custard or creme anglaise (I used ‘Devon Custard’). Mix the coulis and custard together about 2 parts custard to 1 part coulis in a glass bowl suitable for freezing.
- Add a good splash of cream and mix.
- Taste the mixture and decide if you need more coulis.
- Cover with cling film then pop in the freezer for 30 minutes (I used a timer to remind me).
- Then take out and whisk it up scraping all the newly formed ice crystals off the sides.
- Cover again and return to the freezer for another 30 minutes. Repeat the process again.
- You need to do this for about 2 minutes every half hour till it starts to set. Its not hard if you use the timer. It should take about 3 hours
Giving it a really good whisk breaks down the ice crystals and makes the ice cream smoother!, so work that arm with a sturdy whisk or wooden spoon or use an electric whisk.
Strawnana Ice Cream Cake
I made this beautiful looking and tasting dessert very easily using a shop bought Banana Cake and my cheats ice cream.
I used a heart shaped pastry cutter (because I had them since valentine’s day) to cut the banana cake slices and used my softened ice cream as a sandwich filling. Once made you can serve straight away or pop back in the freezer wrapped in cling film and when needed leave to defrost for 30 mins before serving. Serve with a little scoop of icream on top and a half strawberry.