These are really easy and beautiful desserts. A puff pastry heart filled with a strawberry cream and freshly chopped strawberries finished with a strawberry coulis.
I used pre rolled frozen puff pastry, its cheap and easy to use no messing around making the stuff
Now at the moment you can get some good deals on fresh strawberries so it won’t be to expensive, but my tip is to smell the strawberries before you buy. If they smell like ripe strawberries then they will taste nice too.
You can also buy frozen strawberries to make the coulis, and I would cook these a little with sugar to make the fruit sweeter.
Coulis are a thick sauce that have been sieved to remove any seeds or lumps, most fresh fruit coulis are not cooked.
- Pre Rolled Puff Pastry
- Fresh Strawberries
- Frozen Strawberries for coulis (optional)
- Double or Whipping Cream
- 1 Egg for glazing the pastry
- Caster sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 220c
- If using frozen strawberries put 200 grams into a saucepan with a couple of dessert spoons of caster sugar and 50ml of water bring to the boil and stir then take off the heat.
- For fresh strawberries just add sugar and a tiny splash of water then follow the rest of the instructions.
- If you have a processor throw them in and blitz till smooth.
- Pass the strawberries through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. Leave the coulis in a bowl in the fridge till needed.
- Roll out your pastry onto a flour surface and cut out your shapes with a knife or pastry cutter, brush the top with a beaten egg keeping away from the edges so the puff happens whilst cooking. Put onto a piece of baking paper on a baking tray and pop in the middle of the oven for about 10 to 15 mins (don’t burn them)
- Whip your cream till thickened and add caster sugar to your taste. Whip again till stiff and mix in some of the strawberry coulis and chopped fresh strawberries, cover and put back in the fridge.
- Cool your cooked pastry on a wire rack(use the one in your grill, cleaned of course)
- Brush the top of your pastry with some coulis and sprinkle a little sugar on top and cut them open with a sharp pointed knife.
- Fill your pastry with the strawberry cream and serve on a plate with the coulis .
P.S I hope you like these Audrey